Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Sloppy Seconds

So last night I decided I would drop the boys off this morning and go directly to the trail to run, no matter what the weather was. Driving to school, it didn't seem too rainy, just a light drizzle. By the time I got to the trail, it was really raining. But, by my calculations, I would be under trees, a perfect canopy and stay pretty dry.

Nice. In reality, the trees, when combined with wind, create MORE rain and a very sloppy trail. I decided not to try and save my fancy pants pink running shoes, but instead hit every puddle. A few times the puddles tried to suck off my shoes, but I plowed on.

As compared to my previous two train runs, this one was awesome. I felt like the ol' me (plus 40 pounds...that's right! I lost almost five pounds last week. Michael? Nine!). For those of you who know that zoo route, my first goal was to not stop running until I made the bench. Done.

On the back stretch, I marveled at how I hadn't run into any other people (tangent: ever notice when you're on the trail and a runner is coming towards you, they always say a greeting that's like three syllables? Like "good morning!"? The last time I ran, I passed four people. Every one said good morning. I was sucking wind SO HARD I could only say "hi." It was more like "huh." Anyhoo...)

So there I am, feeling like the old Runner World and all of a sudden! Twist my ankle and let out a scream. Because it hurt. But, not as bad as the sprain during my rookie year of running. I managed to swirl it around and finish the run. It hurt more when I got home, but a little ice and elevation, and it'll be fine in a couple of days.

I really had a good run. Woo hoo!

Shoes would probably disagree.

No comments: