Sunday, April 13, 2008

"Good Day For It"

So, I had great intentions to write all about my runs last week, because, some were just epic. Let's review:

Sunday--Don't Call It A Comeback Trail Run
Great run with Jeffy in Forest Park. I felt great. I told myself that two weeks off was a drop in the bucket and I should do it more often! See previous run report.

Monday--Speed Work Day
So I met Shaunmarie (SM) at the Lincoln Track and quickly realized that trying to do speedwork while 17,023 elementary school children are being taught "track" was not the best idea (SM's by the way). SM seemed intent on it, so we ran one warm up lap and then one "speed" 400 and we were practically run over by the herd of children. Not to mention I almost turned to stone when one of the "teachers" (with the worst highlights on the planet...really, if you're brunette and want blonde highlights, make sure you have a good hairdresser. Tiny streaks of peroxide blonde and GREY really does nothing for you. Bitch.) gave me the Medusa look from Clash of the Titans. So that was speed work, day one.

Tuesday--THE WORST RUN EVER AFTER BABY #2 (TM)
I'm not sure how to explain how horrific this run was. First, it was probably the least scenic route I've ever taken, and the most dangerous. We started at SM's gym off Karman Drive (the freeway!) and about 83% of the road travelled didn't have sidewalks and SM is the type of person who thinks she'll never get pancaked by a car so she tried to run double decker. GOOD LORD woman! I was terrified half the time and sucking carbon monoxide the other half.

At the 8:13 minute mark I decided that I'd had enough. But SM had taken us on the 6-mile route and "didn't know how to do the 3-mile route!" Jesus! So we walked about 234 times so I could just make the run even longer. I felt so crappy--just tired (baby's getting molars and not sleeping) and fighting the cold-that-wouldn't-die. We finally finished in 55 minutes and 342 snot rockets later.

Tangent: I enjoy the snot rocket so much I want to do it at home. It would save a lot of kleenex. Yesterday I took Owen to the Zoo and I had to stop myself at least twice from just snot rocketing on the path. I mean, I had my finger covering my nostril. Just keeping it real.

Wednesday--Be Kind to Yourself Trail Run
I parked at a different trailhead so I wouldn't encounter killer hills at the end of the workout. I went as slow as I wanted and tried desperately to think positively. It wasn't bad. It wasn't good.

Thursday, Friday, Saturday--Make as Many Excuse as Possible Not To Run
  1. Needed a day off.
  2. Knee felt tweaky.
  3. Too much work to do.
  4. Knee still felt tweaky.
  5. Allergy medicine knocked me out. Need to nap.
  6. TOO HOT! I can't run in this STIFLING HEAT!
  7. Could it be runner's knee?
Sunday--Good Day For It!
Yes it was. Practically perfect as I ran 45 minutes in the hood without too much knee pain. And it's always nice to get a "Good day for it" from a perfect stranger as I'm sucking wind going up a hill.

Here's to another week!

No comments: